General Pie Tips
for your Handmade Pies & Thumbprint Cookies
How many people does each pie serve?
- Our 9” pies serve 7-8 people
- Our 4” pies are intended to be a personal serving, but can be cut into (really cute) mini slices and shared
- Our 2” pies are 2-3 delicious bites.
What is the best way to store my pie?
- Meringue and custard-based pies should be refrigerated, along with some of our seasonal fruit Pies.
- Nanny’s Pecan, I-40, Granny’s Apple and Chewy Chocolate Chip pies can be kept on the counter (or refrigerated if you prefer them cold)
How long will my pie last?
- Refrigerated pies are best enjoyed within 2 days of purchase
- Counter pies are best enjoyed within 3 days of purchase
- Keep in mind, these are “best by” guidelines. You can treat our pies like you would your own homemade pies.
What makes Buttermilk Sky Pies so special?
What is the story behind the I-40 Pie?
Why is your crust different from most traditional pies?
Freezing & Thawing
Can I freeze my pie?
What is the best way to thaw a frozen pie?
While we believe the best way to experience a Buttermilk Sky Pie is fresh from the shop, if you do choose to freeze your pie, there are several options depending on the pie and your preference:
- Custard-based pies should be thawed in the refrigerator.
- All other pies can be thawed on the counter.
- Our apple and I-40 pies are terrific warm and can go right from the freezer to the oven (in our pie tin or your own pie plate). Let rest on counter ~15 minutes. Bake, covered with foil, at 350-degrees for 60-75 minutes and then uncovered to brown top if desired. Enjoy!
Customizing & Serving
I like my pie warm. Can I heat a Buttermilk Sky Pie?
Our 4” pies can alternatively be heated in the microwave. Just be sure to remove them from their tins. Carefully pull back the edges of the tin and invert the pie onto a plate. Microwave on medium for 10-15 seconds.
Do you have any serving suggestions for my pie?
The pies the limit! There are lots of terrific ways to enjoy our pies. Use your imagination. Some of our favorites include:
- A la mode: With your favorite ice cream
- Make your own Cloud 9: Soften ice cream and mix pie in it.
- With sauce: How about drizzling warm chocolate or caramel sauce over your pie?
- With fruit: Fresh berries are terrific on many pies, especially our Southern Buttermilk Pie. You can also use frozen fruit and sauce.
- Whipped Cream: Make your own or buy it
My favorite pie is not on the menu. Do you make custom pies?
The longer answer is we do have a range of seasonal and special pies that are offered throughout the year. Contact your local shop for their schedule and to see if your favorite might be on their calendar.
Pie flavors that are part of our current recipe book can sometimes be special ordered for large events (i.e. Weddings). Contact your local shop if you would like to explore this for your event.